Monday, March 1, 2010

What is Real About Reality

My tv viewing is pretty limited. I don't really watch dramas and don't like most comedies. Now that I have been asked to actually think about it, I find it really bizarre that most of what I do watch is "Reality TV." "America's Best Dance Crew" and "So You Think You Can Dance," two shows I watch, are reality shows but really competitions -- which to me makes them a different kind of reality tv. I like the dancing and think that some of it, particularly on SYTYCD, is fabulous. I don't pay much attention to any of the backstories, which is when producers are most likely to mess around with reality.

The other two shows I find myself watching are "Intervention" and "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew"
"Intervention" is done as a documentary. I think it is fairly "real." It feels gritty real. Plus it doesn't seem to hold anything back about addiction, and some of it is hardcore to watch. I might be kidding myself when I think that it is pretty"real." I know that there is editing and parts that are left out or done for dramatic effect. After all it is tv.

"Rehab," on the other hand, that show leaves me somewhat speechless. They say that people who want to be on reality tv are narcissists and then you add in celebrity but not "real" A-list celebrity, celebrity hasbeens, plus addiction, and woa! What trainwreck is that? These people are really out there, and sadly, if what I'm seeing it true, really messed up people. So is that real? I hope not. Whatever it is, apparently it makes for good entertainment -- which is, if you ask me a bit sad. Which raises the question why am I so fascinated with these addiction shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment