Monday, March 1, 2010

Confessions of a Pathetic Student

It all started when I realized that I was doing my homework assignment for my online course while texting my friend Emily and chatting on FB with my niece in Nairobi. And my son was around, so I was keeping track of what he was up to. It occured to me that my assignment was not getting my full attention, or even the attention it needed. I laughed it off, thinking isn't it funny how I am doing my homework.

With the March 3rd deadline in mind, I thought that I had plenty of time to do the readings. I started them off and on. One book is so dry and boring -- I can't figure how it is remotely relevant (which if you know any theory about adult learners and androgogy, adults need to know how what they are learning applies to their lives -- relevance!!). I read a couple of chapters of the other book -- case studies are a little more interesting-- still not sure how I could apply it to my real-life since the cases studied are completely different from my experiences.

OK, so the March 3rd deadline is fast approaching (day after tomorrow). Over the weekend, my plan was to really get started on this assignment. Big problem -- still hadn't done many of the readings. Saturday, I kept thinking, "well I still have Sunday." Sunday I decided to start writing the paper even though I hadn't done any more reading. I would simply fill details from the reading as I went -- hahahaha.

Being an organized person (good student), I got all my papers out, laid them out on the table. Started by formatting the document -- APA format can be a pain when using Word. I hear a big "ut oh!" See my son's big brown eyes looking at me. He had spilled water all over all my papers. Cleaning up the water and water-drenched papers and went to a friend's to watch the US play Canada for the gold.

I still haven't gone back to my assignment. It is, though, weighing on me. Still procrastinating (um, writing my blog?!)


At some point, it will be done -- before the deadline. But getting it done will be painful and cost me. If only I were a good student, the assignment would have been done and turned in ages ago.
Posted by Miriam Simon at 7:07 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment