Monday, September 28, 2009

Reality


My favorite reality tv shows are the dancing shows, in particular "So You Think You Can Dance" and "America's Best Dance Crew." I'm not so keen on "Dancing with the Stars" because I don't think the dancing is all that great. Face it, Tom Delay can't dance -- nor can many of the other "stars" on that show. Plus is seems unfair, of course an Olympic figure skater and skier are going to do better than Cloris Leachman.

I've seen SYTYCD more than ABDC, so I am more familiar with that show. I don't watch regularly but I do love to watch the choreography and different dance styles. It seems to me that each season the dancing gets better and stronger. The choreographers can be pretty amazing too. They come up with very creative and at time cutting edge dances to go with usually interesting music. Last season they added disco, which was very entertaining.

I've only seen a little of ABDC. I watched more this season because there was a go-go dance crew from DC. They were ok. Lasted for a while but weren't as good as some of the other crews. They tended to be a bit sloppy and not always together.

The other reality show I watch is Celebrity Rehab, my secret addiction (like the diet coke I have almost every afternoon to help me get through the rest of the day). I love that show. It is a good one for thinking about how "real" reality tv is. In this case, the show is oddly compelling, so at times, it feels very real. I love Dr. Drew who seems earnest in his desire to help these people. Sober Living was pretty good, but that one felt less "real" than the other.

Dr. Wahl is probably going to ask me to support my opinions (inform them in reading speak). I have offered lots of opinions but haven't really provided much evidence to support them. I hope you can do better...

6 comments:

  1. We should talk about the difference between reality TV where they're competing for prizes and ones where we're just watching them do real things. In the dance shows, when the stars are on there, do they win money? If so, who cares, they're already rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Dr.Wahl even though they are competing they should get some money on the show right? Also Prof. Simon that is good that you have something do relieve stress on. Some people take a walk, others wacth celbs go through rehab. Hey whatever floats your baot I say plus many other people in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes half the dancers on DWTS cant dance...but thats what makes the show. There are some really good dancers that come on there like the olympic figure skater who won...but she said that her biggest challege was going up and down on her feet...skating your feet are flat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard of it but I haven't watch that show because I was never interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love celebrity rehab too, i think is one of those shows were things get pretty real... it shows how celebrities aren't as preffect as we picture them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sober livings can be learned through alcohol and drug rehabilitation center programs and practiced at sober living homes.

    ReplyDelete