Monday, February 9, 2009

First Blog

I never thought I would blog – dismissing blogging as only for people with way too much time on their hands. And worse, full of uninformed opinions, rants and raves. I teach writing and reading; I want informed opinions, not rants and raves. I spend my days helping students do more than simply state an opinion, judge, rant and rave. To think critically and express logical well-informed opinions -- in my biased mind, that is the opposite of what most bloggers do. Blogging was also for people with not enough to do. I have no time for blogging. Full time professor who teaches writing (oh, the papers I grade) and full time single mom to a charming and somewhat wild 6 year old. Where’s the time to spend writing about stuff. And what makes me think anyone would be interested in reading what I might have to say? (Don’t people who blog have big egos because by blogging they assume people care what they say?) So the logical question – why is she blogging? I have to. For a class I’m teaching. My students are required to blog, so it seems only reasonable for me to join them. Who knows, maybe my negative ideas about blogging will change simply by giving it a chance and seeing where it takes me. (feedback from my colleague suggested I make this one paragraph – so this is a revised blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment