Friday, October 16, 2009

Reading -- Yum


I love to read -- I know, no shock to my students.

I definitely think of books when I think of reading. Favorite authors depend on the moment -- John Irving, George Pelicanos, Isabel Allende, Toni Morrison. Oh far too many to list.

But I read everything -- Washington Post (addicted to the crossword puzzle and Carolyn Hax), BBC news; Huffington Post, the newest addition to my online reading. At the gym, all the junkie gossip magazines Us, People. I love novels and can spend a day reading a book (if I only had a day I could do that). I am somewhat picky about books; I find it hard to read things that aren't well written. Most books on bestseller lists are not well written. I wander around online, reading random stuff, clicking on links. Links my friends post on facebook or send me.

I recently started a book club with three friends. This month it was my turn to pick the book. I chose In Praise of Slowness about slowing down, not multitasking and not hurrying. I usually avoid anything labeled as self-help, which is what this book is, but I hear this is a fast read (hahaha). I started the club but am the one who never finishes the books in time and last month I accidentally read the wrong book -- long story -- but at least I finished the book before we met.

I read to my son every night -- we still read picture books and have added in Sonic and chapter books. The Magic Treehouse series is big at the moment.

There's nothing better than picking up a book, entering a new world, and reemerging hours later feeling as though I have been somewhere else.

I love to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment