Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Spring Break: An Organized Paragraph


My spring break has not been at all what I had planned. First, I thought I would grade all my midterm exams and papers. Spring break always comes immediately after midterms, so I always plan to get my grading done during the break. Usually, we have to submit our grades immediately after break ends, so I feel pressure to get them done. I also thought that I would prepare my taxes. During classes, it is hard for me to find the time to work on them, so Spring break is the logical time to tackle this unpleasant task. For the last week, I have been trying to get myself to work on these two big projects. I have met with limited success; as a matter of fact, I have not even looked at my taxes, and stacks of papers are still waiting to be graded. I haven’t been completely lazy and unbusy though. One thing I did not expect during this break was reconnecting with an old friend. We were friends in high school, but we lost track of each other while we were in college, ran into each other once about seven years ago, but since then, we had not been in touch at all. During break, we have had time to catch up and renew our friendship. Another thing about my break that I wasn’t expecting is that I have been able to go yoga everyday. Not only have I gone to yoga, I have begun to do inversions, which means going upside down. This is big – I have always been afraid to do these, so even if I was physically able, I held myself back because of fear. Today, with ease, I was able to kick up into a headstand and hold it for thirty seconds. Just to be sure, I did it a second time. What a feeling, to tackle something I was scared to do. Even though I did not accomplish anything I had expected, it has been an excellent Spring break. (This is a planned paragraph, not a freewrite, with some revising and editing. I bet my students would be able to outline it and figure out its pattern of organization.)

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is really well organized and clear. That allows me to enjoy the content too.

    ReplyDelete